SENIOR SCIENTIST, PLANT CELL CULTURE
AMHERST, MA, USA
As a Sr. Scientist in Plant Cell Culture, you will be optimizing and operating a streamlined cell-growth system. This role will require a strong research background in plant in vitro biology as well as leadership skills to lead a team of engineers and scientists to develop innovative plant cell culture processes alongside the tech team of GALY. Regular reports, experimental proposals, and protocols are to be drafted by the plant scientist and her/his team in order to communicate technical results to the rest of the company. The successful candidate will utilize her/his knowledge of plant cell culture to support and help GALY fulfill its mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities & Know-How
- Develop and implement innovative methods and processes to isolate, cultivate, and maintain plant cell lines in tissue culture
- Conduct screening and isolation of plant cells from a wide range of cultured tissues and explants
- Develop, optimize, and subculture suspension and callus cultures
- Develop, select, and optimize media for callus and cell suspension cultures
- Utilize a variety of skill sets to measure cell growth, and test the viability of cell growth in suspension or solid cultures
- Highly experienced in microscopy including confocal microscopy
- Highly skilled and efficient in experimental design (D.o.E) and data reporting to leadership level management
- Highly innovative and creative
Education & Experience
- Advanced degree in Plant Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Plant Biochemistry, and Physiology or related fields
- Ph.D. or MS with 6+ years of experience in the biotechnology or related industry
- Experience with Cotton Plant Tissue Culture and/or Fiber Development highly preferred
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people, and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such, it requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. The position also requires communication with other individuals through a variety of methods.
What We Offer
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Paid vacation and holidays
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.