BIOCHEMICAL ENGINEER, PLANT CELL CULTURE
AMHERST, MA - USA
As a Chemical/Biochemical Engineer working in Plant Cell Culture you will be developing and scaling-up a heterotrophic plant cell culture process to deliver kilogram quantities of healthy, clean plant cells, from cell banking, through initiation of the seed train, to end of growth phase. Hands-on work with equipment ranging from shake flasks in the company’s own labs, to 1000L+ fixed equipment at CDMO sites, is a major part of the work expected to be performed by this position.
The position will be responsible for working with vendors to determine the best equipment to purchase for GALY’s own labs, and to rent for use at contract sites. Operational experience in lab and pilot scale fermentation/cell culture is required. The ability to write reports, draft protocols and prepare batch records and technical transfer documentation are also required.
The successful candidate will be responsible for a central part of the critical path to GALY’s success. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years hands-on experience in lab or plant required
- Experience with fermentation/cell culture equipment and processes (fixed batch, fed-batch, CSTR, bubble column) required
- Experience with sterile operations and cleaning operations, from bench scale to fixed equipment required
- Experience with standard scale-up parameters (kLa, OTR, OUR, aeration and agitation equipment configurations) required
- Experience with statistical methods, and design-of-experiment (DOE) methods highly desirable
- Knowledge of microscopy techniques (light, confocal, scanning, transmission, ultra-resolution) and techniques of determining cell viability highly desirable
- Knowledge of the role of plat hormones, auxins, and growth factors highly desirable
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such this position requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. The position requires communication with other individuals through a variety of methods.
What We Offer
- Fast-paced environment with rapidly growth opportunities
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation and holidays
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.